Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Apple Dumplings

My mother came over for dinner last night and I made one of her favorite desserts...Apple Dumplings! 
I modified a recipe from Allrecipes.com.  It came out so gooey, hot and tasty....and it was impressive and E A S Y.

2 lg Granny Smith apples
2 tubes crescent rolls (low fat...why not)
1.5c sugar/brown
1 tsp cinnamon 
1 stick  butter (I use unsalted...the original recipe called for 2 sticks)
1 cup Mountain Dew...I forgot to pour it on top before the dumplings went into the oven and it made no difference in how much we loved this dessert.  Feel free to try it!

350 degree oven
Peel and core apples.
Cut each apple into 8 slices. 
Roll each apple slice up into the crescent roll dough completely encapsulating it. 
Heat butter in a skillet with the sugar and cinnamon...when completely dissolved and a gently bubbling I poured the deliciousness onto the crescent rolls that I arranged in a baking dish. I used a tablespoon to help distribute the mixture.
Pop that bad boy into the oven for 25 minutes.  Serve 2 per person with vanilla bean ice cream. 
*A day later we heated the leftovers and served them up...still delicious! 

1 comment: